Tuesday, June 15, 2010

There's been an uprising!



Saturday afternoon Kaden and I went on an extravaganza to purchase fluorescent light bulbs for our kitchen. We went to get in the car when I saw a fresh bird poo on our windshield. I couldn't figure out how the heck that was even possible seeing as how we are lucky and our car is housed in a garage. Well, low and behold, I look up to see a magpie in the rafters of our garage.

Great, not that I could hate magpies anymore than I already do. This stupid magpie won't fly down to get out of the garage, it will only fly up around the rafters. So Kaden gets a broom and starts throwing it like a javelin at this stupid magpie. Not to injure it, mind you, but to knock it out of the rafters so we can shoo it out of the garage.

After 45 minutes of master javelin throwing, three poops, and several angry words, Kaden gets the bird knocked out of the rafters and shoos it outside. Well, now the bird won't fly away (we may or may not have broken its wing. The jury is still out on that one). So Kaden gently scoops the bird up onto a rake and hurls it into the nearest tree. The wind catches it and it gently and safely glides onto the branches. I continue watching the bird as it tries to fly out of the tree. Yeah, it drops like a rock onto the ground. Kaden and I decide to go buy our lightbulbs and see if it is still there when we get back. Good news, it was gone when we got back.

Ok, now to the brutal uprising part of this story. For the past few days we have been hearing a magpie (I SWEAR its the same one) angrily squawking in our yard. I kept telling Kaden that he was gathering an army to attack us.

Last night, we come home from feeding the horses and I count THIRTEEN magpies. And those were just the ones on our lawn. I look into the trees, and they are EVERYWHERE. Then they start swooping down and flying to different trees just to creepily stare at us. And now, I'm scared to go outside because I'm pretty sure that they are going to peck me to death.

So, the moral of the story is, don't throw brooms at magpies. They WILL uprise and you WILL die.

7 comments:

Mandi Lynne said...

I wish I could have seen Kaden in action! Oh, and I hope you don't suffer death by bird. That would be gross.

Brandon and Brittany said...

this is hilarious! I hope you don't die.

Paul and Kyla said...

Mindi, you should write a book with all of the crazy things that happen to you. It would be great. Good luck with your birds!

The Ostheds said...

Stupid magpies! They are really quite worthless! Just like everyone else has said, I hope you don't die from those stupid creatures!

Matt and Laura said...

You should have recorded that! It sounds like you could have won big on America's Funniest Videos!! I hope the magpies don't get you!

The Buttars said...

i pretty much just wet my pants reading this post! dang magpies! my grandpa had magpie trouble at his house too. how did he solve this problem you ask? he took em out with the ol' shot gun- he even kept tally of how many he killed! they are now pretty much extinct in pocatello. p.s. i don't know where you found those pictures to accompany your post but those were hilarious too! especially the one of the magpie taking out the biker!

Krista Payne said...

Awesome! The attack of the magpies. You might of made a really bad enemy there. You might have to move because it could get worse. How did the interview go?