Sunday, February 10, 2013

For posterity.

If you don't want to hear any birth stories then you can stop reading now. I decided to record the kid's stories so that I can remember them when they ask me what it was like when they were born. I decided to write it down here so that I won't lose them

Wyatt-

I was 38 weeks along with Wyatt when he was born. I went into the doctor on Thursday afternoon for my checkup. She told me that I was dialated to a 3 and was 100% effaced so she decided to strip my membranes. I came home from my appointment and decided that nothing was going to happen.
Kaden's dad and grandpa were coming over that night to watch BYU play in the sweet sixteen. So we ordered pizza and sat down to watch the game. After I had sat down for a while, I started having contractions. They were irregular so I decided that nothing was going to happen. After a handful of contractions, Kaden's dad told me that if BYU won their game, we had to name our boy Jimmer. Thank heaven BYU didn't win.
After the game was over. I decided to call it a night. I was still having contractions but they were irregular enough that I decided to get some sleep. About 10:00 I woke up and they were quite regular. So I got up and tried to watch tv to keep my mind off of them. About 2:00 I got Kaden up and told him it was time. He asked me where my hospital bag was and I told him I hadn't packed one yet. He started running around the house like a madman while I tried to tell him what I needed in between contractions. After we had everything packed, Kaden gave me a blessing that I would be comforted and that everything would be ok. Then we headed into the hospital.
After being admitted we settled in to wait. About 5:00 I decided it was time for the epidural. After the longest half hour in history, the anesthesiologist came and put it in. After that, I was able to get a few hours of rest. I was checked at about 8:15 and was at 10 cm so they called Dr. Blackett in for delivery. I started pushing around 8:40 and two pushes later, Wyatt was born March 25th at 8:46 am.
Wyatt didn't cry when he came out so they rushed him over to the nurse where the nurse tried to get him breathing. The nurse was able to get him breathing and cleaned up and he was weighed in at 5 lbs 15 oz 19 inches. Wyatt was still lethargic and wasn't very active so they admitted him to the NICU. He was in the NICU for 48 hours for low blood sugar and an infection.
We were able to bring him home on Sunday March 27th. We heard him cry for the first time as we put him in his carseat to come home.
He has been such a sweet addition to our family and we love him very much.

Charlotte-

I went in for a checkup on December 13th. The doctor was concerned because I was measuring small. She had me schedule an ultrasound for the 16th to make sure she was growing properly.
I went to my ultrasound and everything looked perfectly healthy. All organs were functioning properly and she looked perfect. Charlotte was just measuring below the 10th percentile.
I went back in for my checkup on the 21st. Dr. Blackett said that she was concerned how small Charlotte was and asked if I was ready to have a baby that day. They wanted to get Charlotte out and growing. They scheduled me to go into labor and delivery at 12:30.
I went home and packed my bag and dropped Wyatt off at the neighbors until my parents could make it into town. Kaden and I then got some lunch and headed into the hospital.
I was started on pitocin at 1:00 and we settled in for a long wait. I had joked with the nurse that I wanted to be done in two hours so that I wouldn't miss dinner. They broke my water around 2:00 and things really picked up.
About 2:45 I was ready for the epidural. The anesthesiologist was in surgery and didn't come until 45 minutes later. As soon as he put the epidural in, they checked me and I was at a 7. One contraction later, I felt the need to push. They checked me again and I had jumped to a 10. As the doctor was rushing over , the anesthesiologist told me that the epidural probably wouldn't kick in for a while yet. Dr. Blackett came and after only 2 hours and 45 minutes, and two painful pushes later, Charlotte was born. As soon as she was born, I felt the epidural kick in.
She was born a healthy baby although she only weighed in at 5 lbs 1 oz and 18 inches. We were able to bring her home on December 23rd just in time for Christmas.
She is a sweet baby and brings a special spirit to our home.
Charlotte was born with a birthmark covering her left arm. We were referred to a birthmark specialist at Primary Children's. Her birthmark is a hemangioma and should go away on its own in a few years. In the meantime, we are using a steroid cream to slow growth and are trying to raise her to be confident and teach her that the most important beauty comes from the inside.

1 comment:

Brandon and Brittany said...

Ironically, I had never heard much of these stories. You will be so grateful you recorded them. When you post them it feels like you are telling the story over and over and no one will want to hear it. It also feels like you will never forget it. But... you do. So great to have it recorded. And I enjoyed reading it. Love you sister.